Grinnell, IA – March 24, 2020 – UnityPoint Health® – Grinnell Regional Medical Center is further restricting visitors, due to COVID-19 (Coronavirus), in order to protect patients, staff and the community.
Effective at 8 a.m. Wednesday, March 25, all visitors at the hospital and clinics will be suspended until the transmission of COVID-19 is no longer a threat to our patients, staff and community.
The decision to restrict visitors was difficult and made only after careful consideration to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
We recognize that there are times when having a visitor or family member present is crucial. In these cases, visitors will be allowed based on the exceptions listed below.
• Obstetric patients may have one support person accompany them.
• Patients who are at the end-of-life (imminently dying) may have one visitor.
• Patients with disruptive behavior, development delays or an altered mental status, where a caregiver is key to their care and safety, may have one visitor.
• Minors under the age of 18 may have one visitor, a parent or guardian.
• Patients undergoing surgery or procedures may have one visitor to act as the driver for the patient. This driving visitor will leave the premises as soon as possible.
Please note in all cases a visitor will only be allowed if they do not have symptoms of respiratory infection (fever, runny nose, cough, shortness of breath). Additionally, children under the age of 16 will not be allowed except under extraordinary circumstances; siblings are not allowed. Individuals at high risk for severe disease (e.g., underlying cardiopulmonary disease, poorly controlled diabetes) should not visit.
Visitors allowed must stay in the patient room the entire time of the visit. Once the visitor leaves the patient room, they must leave the hospital.
Please note that visitors will not be allowed for patients with a pending or positive COVID-19 test. Exceptions may be considered in certain situations and can be discussed with patient care teams.
We appreciate your understanding during these uncertain times. We understand these visitor restrictions may be difficult for you. Our goal is to protect our patients, staff and the community.
For up-to-date information related to COVID-19, please visit https://idph.iowa.gov/.