GRMC wins Company Challenge, several Grinnellians take home awards from the Grinnell Games
GRINNELL, Iowa– Several Grinnellians earned awards during the 2016 Grinnell Games, which took place June 11 and 12 in Grinnell. The family sports festival, presented by Grinnell State Bank, included competitive races and tournaments as well as non-competitive events.
Below are the results for this year’s competitive Grinnell Games events:
Grinnell Regional Medical Center was awarded the Company Challenge traveling trophy, their third consecutive year winning the award. Company Challenge winners are determined by a point system. Those who participate in a Grinnell Games event or volunteer for a shift may designate their company, which earns points toward the company’s participant total.
5K Race Female Top Finishers
- Amanda Yeoman from Burlington with a time of 20:53
- Nola Conner from Grinnell with a time of 22:33
- Karen Brophy from Des Moines with a time of 23:21
5K Race Male Top Finishers
- Jacob DeRousse from Camp Point, Illinois with a time of 18:45
- Colton Silvia from Grinnell with a time of 19:39
- Scott Abel from Washington, D.C. with a time of 21:19
Half Marathon Female Top Finishers
- Christa Follette from Grinnell with a time of 1:40:10
- Laura Sandness from Belle Fourche, South Dakota with a time of 1:41:22
- Nettie Vaverka from Grinnell with a time of 1:54:27
Half Marathon Male Top Finishers
- Alban Crook from Des Moines with a time of 1:23:34
- Joel O’Polka from Lone Tree with a time of 1:35:58
- Michael Reuter from Perry with a time of 1:42:19
Warrior Run Female Top Finishers
- Kristin Kahn from Newton with a time of 24:00
- Baylee Kivette from Gilman with a time of 27:04
- Izzy Reding from Grinnell with a time of 27:14
Warrior Run Male Top Finishers
- Thomas Clower from Grinnell with a time of 23:43
- Joshua Sandquist from Grinnell with a time of 24:14
- Jeremy Provin from Williamsburg with a time of 24:57
Sand Volleyball Tournament
The first place team, named Sunny Beaches, included teammates Jim Chedester, Dennis Clark, Nick Wagner, Emily Wagner, Deana Derby and Jamie Kriegel, all from Grinnell, and Jeny Bos from Montezuma.
3 On 3 Basketball Tournament
The first place team in the high school division was comprised of Alex Snook, Ju’Corey Higgens and Ethan Bailey of Grinnell. The first place adult team was comprised of Grinnell residents Derek Townsend, Kurt Townsend and Caleb Townsend.
The first place team in the bags tournament was Joe and Dave Schmidt of Grinnell.
The Amazing Chase
Lindsay and Michael Conner from Grinnell placed first in the partner division of the Amazing Chase.
The first place team in the family division was comprised of Jessica Brown, Natalie Brown, Ashlyn Imhoff, Annette Vaverka and Jessica Vaverka, all from Grinnell.
Grinnell Games is a two-day weekend of events designed for all ages and athletic abilities, and draws participants from around Iowa and surrounding states. The event is organized by the Grinnell Area Chamber of Commerce and sponsored by Grinnell State Bank, Ahrens Park Foundation, Grinnell Regional Medical Center, Grinnell Mutual, Grinnell College, HyVee, Prairie Lakes Church and Grinnell Sports Authority. Learn more at grinnellgames.com.